Initially, I thought I would try rendering the finished cover in a block cut style, (digitally "cut," however). I completed these test renderings of three figures before discarding the idea. I concluded it would be too time consuming to treat each element in the picture in this style, and I wasn't even sure I liked it. I was afraid I would expend effort and time and, in the end, be unhappy with the final result. In retrospect, I really like this faux block print look, and I wonder now how the picture would have turned out if I had continued with this approach.
I'll publish the actual finished picture in my next post.