Sunday, October 27, 2019

Self-Portrait 3

This is the very first self-portrait I ever made, as described in the preceding post. I was 24. In retrospect, given how little "serious" drawing I had ever done at this time, (as opposed to bad cartoon drawings), I am surprised at how well-done it appears to me. There are some issues with proportion. I'm not sure if there's too much forehead or too little jaw...it's possibly both! This shows one characteristic of my drawing that remains consistent to this day: I draw linearly, rather than tonally, (which involves depicting the form through its masses, built up by broad, painterly use of charcoal, pastel, or soft pencil). This was drawn with a fairly hard pencil, 4F. The harder the pencil, the longer the point remains sharp, and the less the graphite smears. A drawing teacher I had once said that most artists tend naturally toward depicting form by one means or the other: through line or tone. She recommended that we practice drawing in whichever manner was NOT natural to us, in order to expand our ways of seeing and drawing. Good advice, which I have not put into practice nearly enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment