Thursday, May 17, 2018

Urban Plight

This is a comic strip I drew over the course of my first couple of years living in New York. The story was inspired directly by the alienation I felt being in this big, strange, overwhelming city where I wanted to be but where I didn't feel at home. I felt intimidated by many of the rough, odd-looking people on the streets and subways...but then I thought of all the spree-killers who were "quiet, well-behaved, would-never-hurt-a-fly" type fellows, and I thought: "Maybe these people are afraid of ME!"

The story was originally published in two parts in RED TAPE, a literary/art zine published on the Lower East Side throughout the 80s and into the dawn of the 90s. This Wikipedia page provides some info, including some of the prominent contributors to the magazine:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redtape_Magazine

I've been in New York for 37 years now, and it long ago came to feel like home.



No comments:

Post a Comment